Monday, July 11, 2011

Lessons Learned

Blessed be Your name
In the land that is plentiful
Where Yours streams of abundance flow
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be Your name
When I'm found in the desert place
When I walk through the wilderness
Blessed be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name


This song was sung in our wedding and as I listened to the words then I knew that Nathan and I would face the "land that is plentiful" and the "desert places." In the three years that we have been married we have survived seminary, had sweet times with friends at Highview and in Louisville, experienced one stressful pregnancy (bedrest with Brandon) and another very healthy pregnancy, had the joy of raising two precious boys, seen God's provision in our move to Nashville, witnessed God at work as we minister to the residents at Grande View, and, most recently, wrestled with letting God have TOTAL control...

One of the many things I love about Nathan is his patience. I am NOT a patient person and I don't pretend to be. Galatians 5...the fruit of the Spirit...yeah, hearing a sermon on patience gets me every time!

Ok, when we moved to Nashville in October of last year, we had committed to serve as Resident Activities Programmers at Grande View. We serve as representatives of and with the support of Faith Church. When we left Louisville and headed to Nashville that's all we knew we were doing. Nathan was going to have to find a job to provide full-time income and benefits. He quickly found a job in retail/sales and that lasted about a month. There were shady things that caused us to question the job...I will spare you the details. Anyway, in January he got hired as a claims adjuster with Alfa Insurance (car insurance). The hours would allow him to keep a consistent schedule with church and the apartment ministry. Awesome. Right??

Almost. Benefits are very important...especially when you have small children. When he was hired at Alfa, he was hired as a temp and told that he would be promoted within 6-9 months. At the time of hire we thought, "Eh, we can make it 6 months." There were SOME benefits offered during the temp period but we quickly realized we were going to need better insurance before long.

After Carson's last episode of ear infection and busted ear drum...and almost $200 worth of antibiotics -- yes, the insurance covered like 10% -- I came to the awareness that something had to be done. Pray? Psh too late for that. Trust? I must do something. I don't have time to wait. Remember my lack of patience?

So, this past Wednesday and Thursday nights I sat down at the computer and started applying for jobs for Nathan (at his approval). We let friends know that he was looking and to keep their ears open for ANYTHING...anything that was full time and offered benefits. Yes, I was playing God. I wasn't REALLY trusting that He could and would provide for us without MY help. He does need us, you know?! Yeah. Negative.

Well, in spite of my need to control the situation, Nathan came home Friday afternoon with papers...papers for HIRE! He was given his promotion!! Well, he has to pass a drug test this afternoon. If he doesn't pass that then we have much bigger issues than him not getting the job!!! So, 24-48 hours after I decided to take the reigns, God provided! Again, He was faithful even in my unfaithfulness and lack of trust.

I almost cried when I saw the hire papers as I was instantly convicted of my selfishness and pride. Isn't is amazing that God chooses to reveal Himself even in our sinfulness? I think I learned a lesson in patience.




Meg

No comments: