Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Pre-K

Over the summer I interviewed with a couple preschools with the hopes that Brandon could go with me and start Pre-K. Ideally I would take the younger two with me and they would get the social interaction and routine as well. The interviews went well but financially it wouldn't have been a wise decision. It would have taken most of my paycheck for the boys to be able to go. So, I decided I would stay at the YMCA and homeschool Pre-K.

We started school yesterday and Brandon loved it!! I have curriculum for 3 & 4 year olds so Carson has the option to participate but he just turned three so he might be too young. He took part in the Bible story and prayer then he was off to play. =)

Genesis 1-2 was our Bible story for the morning. We talked about God as Creator. They did an activity sheet that illustrated the passage then we prayed. I explained how we pray for other people and we talked about things we can pray for when praying for others. This was interesting!! Brandon was super confused...he knows that we pray only TO God and he didn't understand how to pray FOR someone else. When I asked who he wanted to pray FOR he would say, "But we only pray TO God." So precious. So, we prayed TO God and we thanked him FOR our friends and family. I will add intercession as we go! =)


I gave Brandon a sheet and wanted to see how well he could follow verbal directions with colors/paints. He had the sheet in front of him and I asked him to color certain things a certain color. He did great!! He definitely knows his colors and he tried VERY hard to stay in the lines getting frustrated if he "messed up." I don't know where he gets the OCD tendencies! =) By the time he was done we had a rocket in the night sky...


I had conversation cards for a creative thinking activity. I put some conversation cards in a bag and we would pick one and discuss it. For example one said, "Tell me about a friend that you have and what you like to do with that friend." Of course he talked about his friend, Tyler, from the Y. My favorite was, "Tell me about a food that you dislike." His response, "Broccoli, pasta, tacos..." He listed quite a few things without a breath in between. "Tell me about a food that you like." I wasn't shocked to hear, "Cereal and apples with peanut butter."

We ended our time with an alphabet activity. Of course, we started with the letter A. He can recognize all of the upper case letters but he has a hard time with lower case. So, we are doing both. He likes to sound out words and figure out what they start with so it won't be long before we are learning his first sight words.


He is so eager to learn!! I am looking forward to teaching him and watching him learn new things.

I am thankful that I get to stay home with our boys!!! Even when I work they go with me...and I don't have to pay!! =)

So blessed.




His,
Meg
Zeph. 3:17

No comments: