Friday, November 14, 2014

Humbled

I am sure y'all are the most patient parents ever and you never experience "the end of your rope" with your child/children. I am sure your buttons are never pushed...you never count down to bedtime...you never have to repeat requests or demands...and your child/children never just flat out get on your nerves. Well...I am jealous! Patience is not my best quality. However, since I am willing to accept that I am able to talk myself out of a parental temper tantrum when my boys push my buttons.

One of my boys has a great way of knowing exactly when my patience is wearing thin and exactly what button to push to cause the mommy crazy eyes! Some of y'all know what I am talking about. Of the three of our oldest boys my middle son has a knack for walking right up to the line with his pinky toe barely over the edge. For those of you that know my children, he is also the best cuddler and gives the best hugs so I am sure at some point in my parenting I allowed his "sweetness" (and big brown eyes) to override the defiance or lack of concern.

This past Wednesday at church was one of those times that he really pushed my buttons...and we were in public!!! I was nursing Easton at church before Bible study and I allowed Carson and Dalton to come in the baby room with me since we were a little early. I won't go into detail but my nerves were shot by the time he finally went to his class...which was only about twenty minutes after we got there. I went to my Bible study class needing a fresh word on patience. Seriously.

Here's the thing. He is so sweet. He is a great kid. He is respectful of other adults (so I'm told) and gets along well with his peers. It's me. It's our personalities. I acknowledge that. I am aware and do my best to parent him knowing that we are different. His big brother is so much like me that I know how to parent him in a way that just doesn't work with the middle man. Am I the only one that has experienced this?

Ok...so I got out of Bible study and went down to the children's wing to get the boys.

This is what Carson's teacher gave me.


Carson came out of his class singing, "Give thanks to the Lord for he is good..." He was so excited about the song and his turkey. Then, I looked at it. Oh my. His teacher went on to tell me that "mommy" was the top of his thankful list.

Cue the teary eyes.

Thankful for the humility that parenting can bring. I think about this turkey when I am having "a moment" with my sweet little man. He really is precious  and I am so thankful for so many things he does that me laugh or make my mommy heart melt.

Carson, Mommy loves you to the moon and back...even on the days you drive me to crazy eyes...and I am so thankful for you!!



His,
Meg
Zeph. 3:17

No comments: