Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Olivia


I met Olivia in the Fall of 1997. I was a freshman at Union University and she was in 2nd grade. I worked at Friends at First which was an after school care at First Baptist Church in Jackson, TN. Olivia came there every day after school. Have you ever seen Savannah Smiles (great movie from the early 80s)? Well, she looked just like Bridgette Andersen in that movie.

Her grandmother made most of her clothes and you could bet she would have a matching hairbow to match just about every outfit. She was the picture perfect little girl yet she was as feisty as all the little boys! =)

I was actually in charge of the 4th grade students when I started working at Friends at First. Olivia's brother, Wilkes, was in my class. At the end of every afternoon we would take all of the kids to the gym where they would wait for their parents to pick them up. One day I was standing in the gym kind of antagonizing a group of kids (noooo not me...hahaha) when I felt a tug at my shoelaces. I look down and little blonde headed, snaggled tooth girl is untying my shoes in attempt to tie the shoelaces together. She giggled when she realized she had been caught. This was a repetitive exercise until her mother came and picked her up that afternoon.

That Spring semester I took over the 2nd grade class...so I got to hang out with Olivia all afternoon!!! She was the CUTEST little girl ever and SO much personality. I worked at Friends at First the entire time I was in college. The center only kept students from Kindergarten through 6th grade. It worked out perfect that I was able to be Olivia's teacher there until she "graduated" from the after school program.

Through circumstances and, I strongly believe, the Lord's provision, I was able to teach Olivia's Sunday school class from her 7th grade to 10th grade years. What a blessing!!! I was able to watch Olivia grow into such a godly young woman!!! We went on student retreats together; she helped plan girls events at the church when I was on staff in the youth ministry; we spent numerous evenings at Jackson's famous LOS PORTALES or enjoying double chocolate chip frapaccino's at Starbucks; we tested our relationship through numerous games of Phase Ten! =) Over the years Olivia has been a great friend and the little sister I never had.


I have been in Louisville since 2005 and we haven't skipped a beat in each other's lives. She has come to stay with me a few times and I have gone home to see her play basketball, participate in pageants, and graduate from high school...I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!


Olivia moved into her college dorm room at Freed Hardeman yesterday! I hated that I wasnt there to help her move in but I have thought about her A LOT since she started the "journey" on Monday afternoon. I am so excited to hear about what God has in store for her there and where these experiences will take her. She has a love for people and the Lord that is evident in her daily life and I respect her for that!

Thanks, Olivia, for being YOU!!! I wouldn't trade our relationship for anything. You are such a blessing!!! I love you and I am praying for you during this transition -- it's a blast!!!

Meg

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Hey Meg...I sure didn't know you had this blog. I have you entered into Google Reader and get your updates but never have to go to your site. Oh well.

I love the post about Olivia...our Savannah Smiles!

Oh she was the cutest!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making your mom cry after reading that!!! What a sweet tribute to Olivia and your relationship. It has been special to watch!