Monday, June 13, 2011

Couponing

I started couponing a few months ago. I got interested in this when we lived in Louisville and I was involved in a moms group that introduced how to start this craze! So, once we got settled here in Nashville I started collecting coupons and attempting to save our family some money on groceries.

My personality loves the game of couponing which is one reason I keep clipping! I MUST save more money than I did last week...I MUST get the best deals on things we actually use! If you have seen "Extreme Couponing" then you have seen them buy 500 things of Excedrin and 200 laundry detergents. Ok. That's awesome but not practical. I go for practical.

A few of you have asked how I got started and what I do to keep up with everything so here you go...

I start on Sundays when I get 2 Sunday papers. I pull out the ads while Nathan actually reads the paper. hahahaha! I flip through the ads and clip anything that I think we might use. After clipping the coupons, I enter the info into an excel spreadsheet.



After entering each coupon onto the spreadsheet, I file the coupon into my filing system...



I try to do all of the above on Sunday nights. Sounds like a lot but once you get your system going it really doesn't take that long. I spend another afternoon or evening printing coupons from online and filing them. Here are some sites that I go to for coupons:

www.hip2save.com
www.coupons.com
www.southernsavers.com
www.smartsource.com
www.redplum.com
www.homesolutionsnews.com
www.thekrazycouponlady.com

I also go to specific sites such as www.kelloggs.com and www.pillsbury.com.

I shop at Publix and the weekly ad comes out on Wednesdays. So, on Wednesday evenings I open the weekly ad online and open the excel spreadsheet. Since Publix offers buy one get one free items AND doubles coupons 50cents and under, the best deals are found when you get a BOGO item and have a coupon.

Like I said, I have only been doing this for a few months so I am still learning. If you are a PRACTICAL couponer...not necessarily "extreme"...and have input for how I can save even more money, let me know!!!

IT'S A GAME!!! =)




Meg

No comments: