Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Great Commission

David Platt is the senior pastor at The Church at Brook Hills in Birmingham. He was the speaker for the Great Commission Lectures held at Southern Seminary. His lecture, "The Command of Christ in the Great Commission," is the best sermon/speech/talk/teaching I have ever heard on the subject. I think he handles discipleship in a way that is challenging and at the same time encouraging. Too often lessons taught on discipleship are either too soft or far too radical to be of any use. He doesn't shame the listeners into being more evangelistic or shame them because they aren't actively trying to sell all of their belongings on Ebay so they can take the Gospel to an unreached people group. He simply and wisely uses sound Biblical arguments to wake us from our slumber concerning discipleship, both locally and globally. Platt shows you what is already in Scripture concerning discipleship. He debunks many of the excuses people make concerning the Great Commission. If you have 45 minutes you will be truly blessed by listening to this message.

I know my life has been changed by words. The words of God. I have a friend who plans on moving to Turkey to serve as a missionary after he graduates from Seminary. I asked him one day, "What finally made you decide you wanted to go overseas?" He quickly replied with the words of Christ. "I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice." So if you don't have time to listen to the message or can't listen to it, I pray that these words change you.

"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations..." Mt. 28:19


Nathan

No comments: