Monday, January 3, 2011

It's the Small Things...

We got Carson's social security card in the mail when we lived in Louisville. We received it right before we moved to Nashville and it got misplaced/lost in the moving process. With Nathan starting a new job we are on a new insurance which means we need the boys social security numbers to add them to our policy. Yeah, not having Carson's card OR NUMBER caused a problem.

Nathan turned in the information for us and Brandon and was told that he had a couple weeks to get them Carson's social security number so that he could be added to our plan. Nathan texted me this morning to let me know...I felt the need to act IMMEDIATELY even though he said we had a couple weeks.

Have you ever had to deal with the social security office? Have you ever had to deal with them at the first of the month? How about the first of a new year? Yeah, they weren't too pleasant which is understandable. I am sure they deal with lots of interesting people. Well, I called the Nashville office to make sure I had the necessary paperwork to reorder his card. The lady I spoke with was not helpful AT ALL!! In fact, I got a little frustrated because she wasn't answering any of my questions...well, that and both boys were fussy so I was trying to hurry the process.

I ended up getting both boys dressed, loading them in the car, and heading to the social security office at lunchtime! hahahahahaha yeah not the brightest idea ever but they close early in the afternoon and with naps I had to go ahead and get it done. Remember, I felt the need to act immediately. I probably could have waited until tomorrow...

I had the diaper bag full of fruit snacks, baby food, sippy cups, teething rings...anything that I could think of that would keep them somewhat entertained for an extended period of time. When we got there, there wasn't an empty seat in the waiting room. I seriously laughed to myself. But, I grabbed my number and picked a spot against the wall. Brandon took the first few minutes to check the crowd...he loves people!!

I know I am their mother so I am a little biased BUT they were AMAZING!!! We were there for about an hour and neither one of them fussed or cried at all! Brandon entertained the people around us and Carson just watched Brandon for the majority of the time. The man that helped me with ordering Carson's card was very friendly and helpful which made the experience even better.

When I got up this morning I was looking forward to a relaxing morning at home catching up on laundry and doing a few things on my to-do list. My plans were definitely changed but it's the small things (like behaving in the social security office) that make parenthood rewarding!


Meg

No comments: