Monday, April 27, 2009

Hallelujah! What a Savior!

We often joke about what heaven will be like. We eat our favorite ice cream and say, "Hmmm, in heaven we can eat all the chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream we want." Or we spend the day outside with family and friends on our day off work and say, "I can't wait to get to heaven. We can just relax all the time." We don't mean to be offensive with our words but do we REALLY understand what heaven is going to be like??

I got a glimpse of it at church yesterday and it was amazing! Normally, I sing in the choir or on praise team so I get the view of the congregation from the stage. Since I have been on partial bedrest I have been able to go to church, but I have to sit in the congregation. What a blessing it has been to worship with and among God's people at Highview Baptist Church!

Yesterday, we were singing "Hallelujah! What a Savior" which is one of my FAVORITE songs! It's a song that tells the Gospel and the words are so powerful. Sitting towards the back of the sanctuary, worshipping along with brothers and sisters in Christ, my attention was drawn to a woman about five pews in front of me. My heart was so blessed and encouraged as I watched her sing along and sign the words. She wasn't signing to a group of deaf members; she was just worshipping her Savior. It was amazing!! Then, about three pews in front of her I see a man in his mid-seventies with his hands raised in praise. He was worshipping all alone in that pew even though there were people all around him. What an encouragement to see an older brother in the faith worship with total abandonment to his Savior! Tears came to my eyes as I saw a married couple just across the aisle. It was a couple in their early sixties, I would assume, and the man was sitting down with his head on the pew in front of him. Tears were rolling down his cheeks as his wife offered whatever comfort she could give. They were singing the words to the song through the brokenness they were experiencing.

There is such a freedom in worship when we humbly come before the Father. Although these scenarios probably aren't new to Highview, they were a total blessing to me! I was so encouraged as those around me lead me in worship. The praise band was great and the choir sounded awesome, but it was the souls around me that lead me in singing, "Hallelujah! What a Savior!"


“Man of Sorrows!” what a name
For the Son of God, who came
Ruined sinners to reclaim.
Hallelujah! What a Savior!

Bearing shame and scoffing rude,
In my place condemned He stood;
Sealed my pardon with His blood.
Hallelujah! What a Savior!

Guilty, vile, and helpless we;
Spotless Lamb of God was He;
“Full atonement!” can it be?
Hallelujah! What a Savior!

Lifted up was He to die;
“It is finished!” was His cry;
Now in Heav’n exalted high.
Hallelujah! What a Savior!

When He comes, our glorious King,
All His ransomed home to bring,
Then anew His song we’ll sing:
Hallelujah! What a Savior!


Meg

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

AMEN!!

Molly said...

I love days like that when God gives you a glimpse of His glory!!!