Friday, April 17, 2009

The "Normal Patient"

Since February 23rd, I have been going to the doctor once every two weeks, if not more. Yesterday, was my bi-weekly appointment and this is how the appointment started:

Dr: (entering room) Well, hello. How is my normal patient doing today?

Nice. That basically means I am abnormal! He was being sarcastic so I didn't take it as an insult. It just means that I have seen too much of Dr. Link in the last few months!! =) We made small talk for a while and in the middle of that conversation he asked, "So, how is work going?" I know my face probably spoke a thousand words (mainly of confusion) because I had been told not to work. So, my response was, "Well, I haven't worked since February." To this he laughed and said, "Great. Just the answer I was looking for." He just wanted to make sure I hadn't been tempted to work and that I had been taking it easy as much as possible.

The baby's heartbeat sounded good. My blood pressure was great. He asked that I stay on partial bedrest or limit myself to daily minimal activity. Ideally, he wants me to stay home until the baby is born but he understands if I need to work a few hours a week.

Overall, the appointment was very encouraging. I have to go back at the end of April for a check-up and hopefully things will continue to progress "normally."


Meg

No comments: